ENERGY USE is in the GSS theme 4, Underlying Causes and Possible Solutions. See Overview.
|1. How People Use Energy||1.1. Recent History||Chapter 1|
|2. Energy Basics||2.1. Create Electricity|
2.2. Electric Motor
|3. Fossil Fuels||3.1. Energy Units||Chapter 3|
|4. Field Trip to a Power Plant||4.1. Home Heating|
4.2. Future Power
|5. America Plugged In||5.1. Energy and Power|
5.2. Fuses & Circuit Breakers
|6. Energy in Society||6.1. Electric Metering|
6.2. What Are We Paying For?
6.3. Power Failure
|7. Energy for Lighting||7.1. Comparing Light Sources|
7.2. Which is Most Cost-Effective?
|8. Heating & Cooling||8.1. Thermos Bottle|
8.2. Compute R-Value
8.4 Exploring a Refrigerator
|9. Energy for Transportation||9.1. Car Energy Transformations|
9.2. Better Batteries
|10. Our Energy Future||10.1 Energy from the Sun|
10.2 Payback Time
10.3 Your Vote on Energy Measures
10.4 Carbon Footprint Calculators
10.5 Climate/Renewable Energy
10.6 Solar Cooking
Energy Use begins by inviting students to take an inventory of the ways that they use electricity. By “following the wires” back to a power plant, and from there to a grid of all power plants in the country, your students will begin to grasp the vast infrarstructure that supports our way of life. Through laboratory experiments they will learn the basic principles on which electrical devices work; and through a brief history, they will learn how our national energy policy came to be. They will also learn about the huge amounts of Earth materials that are used for transportation, home heating, and industry on a daily basis, and the small fraction of that energy that is actually put to use. In the last portion of the unit your students will conduct simple experiments in which they discover that conservation will allow us to maintain our current levels of energy usage while saving billions of dollars and reducing our impact on the environment. They will also explore new technologies for satisfying the energy needs of a growing human population while keeping the impact of energy use to a minimum.
Resources for Energy Use
National Renewable Energy Laboratory – http://www.nrel.gov/
- Alternative Fuels & Advanced Vehicles Data Center http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/ (DOE)
- Biodiesel – http://www.wvodesigns.com/wiki/Biodiesel
- Hydrogen Fueling Stations Worldwide — (In pdf format)
- Global Biofuels Database …to compare the environmental and social impacts of a wide range of transport biofuels
- National BioDiesel Board
- WVO Designs wiki on Biodiesel—Waste Vegetable Oil as a fuel [http://www.wvodesigns.com/wiki/Biodiesel].
- Battery Companies
- COBASYS http://www.cobasys.com/
- 2003. Swiss Rolls and Oreo Cookies, by Sossina M. Haile. Fuel cells will make the future greener, and power packs running on lighter fluid may one day be in all our pockets. Engineering & Science (Caltech) Volume LXVI Number 1
- Ballard http://www.ballard.com (fuel cell company)
- California Fuel Cell Partnership — http://www.fuelcellpartnership.org/ or http://www.drivingthefuture.org/
- Daimler Chrysler NECAR 5
- Fuel Cells 2000 http://www.fuelcells.org/ — Online Fuel Cell Information Center
- Fuel Cell Kits http://www.carolina.com/ — go to the online catalog and then search for “fuel cell”
- Fuel Cell Car & Experiment Kit http://www.thamesandkosmos.com/
- Fuel Cell Information Center http://www.fuelcells.org/
- Fuel Cell Learning Kit http://e1ps.tripod.com
- Fuel Cell Store http://www.fuelcellstore.com/
- Heliocentris Fuel Cell Activities http://heliocentris.com
- Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Letter
- Millennium Cell, a company that makes a hydrogen storage system that uses Sodium Borohydride as storage medium.
- March 21, 2002, By Bree Fowler, Associated Press, Ford to unveil zero-emissions Focus, excerpt: DETROIT – Officials for Ford Motor Co. will unveil a new zero-emissions version of its Ford Focus at the New York International Auto Show later this month. The Focus FCV is powered by a combination of hybrid electric technology and a hydrogen fuel cell, company officials said Wednesday.
- Schatz Energy Research Center (Humboldt State U.)
- Energy Research Corporation (ERC) http://www.ercc.com . ERC is a developer of molten carbonate fuel cell systems and advanced nickel-zinc batteries.
- November 1989. Cold Fusion Research. A Report of the Energy Research Advisory Board to the United States by Department of Energy Washington, DC 20585 — DOE/S-0073 DE90 005611, Internet Edition Prepared by National Capital Area Skeptics (NCAS) District of Columbia – Maryland – Virginia (USA)
- Cold Fusion–LENR– http://lenr-canr.org/ — a library of papers on LENR, Low Energy Nuclear Reactions, also known as Cold Fusion. (CANR, Chemically Assisted Nuclear Reactions, is another term for this phenomenon.) It features a library of more than 280 original scientific papers in Acrobat format, reprinted with permission from the authors and publishers. [Note: this site FAVORS the research on LENR, whereas many scientists scoff at cold fusion as bunk.] For a different view, see article.
- General Atomics Fusion Educational Outreach
- Green Energy Information – https://www.saveonenergy.com/green-energy/
- Home Energy Guides – http://www.expertise.com/green (lighting, heating, cooling, appliances, windows, water, solar)
- Home Energy Saver http://homeEnergySaver.lbl.gov/
- Home Power — Hands-On Journal of Home-Made Power
- American Hydrogen Association http://www.clean-air.org
- Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Letter http://www.hfcletter.com/ Hydrogen Future Act of 1995 http://thomas.loc.gov/ promoting the use of hydrogen as a fuel; and the Job Creation and Wage Enhancement Act of 1995, Title III, enhancing risk assessment policy. [From: Eric Woods EWOODS@REED.EDU]
- Boron: A Better Energy Carrier than Hydrogen? http://www.eagle.ca/~gcowan/boron_blast.html
- Solid hydrogen storage (Energy Conversion Devices) http://www.ovonic-hydrogen.com/
Socially Responsible Investing
- December 2004. GREENTIPS – Socially Responsible Investing – Many people do their part for the environment by driving a fuel-efficient car, buying organic foods, or using energy-efficient appliances. You can also promote environmental values through socially responsible investing (SRI), also known as “green” investing. SRI gives corporations an incentive to improve their environmental stewardship and can also provide investors with a more secure financial future-a “double bottom line.”
- American Solar Energy Society (ASES) is a national organization dedicated to advancing the use of solar energy for the benefit of U.S. citizens and the global environment.
- Companies: Solar and Solar-Related
- Electro Roof — Combine roof mounted PV system with a spray-in-place polyurethane foam roofing system.
- Heliodyne — Solar energy systems
- Kyocera Solar, Inc. — Solar electric systems
- Light Energy Systems (N. California)
- Mosaic — connects investors to high quality solar projects. https://joinmosaic.com/
- PowerLight Corporation — designer, manufacturer and installer of grid-connected, commercial solar electric products and systems.
- Saft Batteries
- SMA America — supplies renewable energy markets with high efficiency inverters to create grid interactive power plants from 500 Watts up to or larger than 1,000,000 Watts–for the large commercial or industrial solar plants, as well as a battery inverter for the off-grid and backup power markets.
- Solar Works, Inc. — Alternative energy systems.
- Solectria Renewables — Manufacturer of residential and commercial photovoltaic (PV) inverters.
- Sundance Solar http://store.sundancesolar.com/
- Thermo Technologies — Thermomax evacuated heat pipe thermal solar collector
- United Solar Ovonics — http://www.uni-solar.com/
- Cookers and ovens (solar) — Solar Cookers International (SCI) – Establishes programs in countries around the world to teach people to make and use solar ovens and cookers. Reduces deforestation and saves time for cultures that normally would gather wood for cooking fires. Reduces carbon dioxide (greenhouse gas) emission in cultures that normally use natural gas or electricity for cooking. See SCI Newsletters
- Kyoto USA – assists California school districts reduce their energy consumption and to install renewable energy systems. Also promotes Community Choice Aggregation programs that allow local governments to procure electricity on behalf of businesses and residents.
- National Council for Solar Growth – https://evergreensolar.com/
- Northern California Solar Energy Association
- Rising Sun Energy Center – Founded in 1994 as a renewable energy education center, provides green training, employment, and residential efficiency evaluations. Headquartered in Berkeley, serves Northern California.
- SaveOnEnergy.com – Texas-based organization that provides lots of information on solar energy, green energy, and inexpensive energy.
- Solar Catalyst Group http://www.solarcatalyst.com
- Solar Living Institute conducts Sustainable Living Workshops, runs the Solar Living Center in Hopland, California, and SolFest, an annual weekend educational celebration. Also has online newsletter at http://www.solarliving.org/enews/current.htm
- Solar Cells
- March 29, 2002 (By Reuters) WASHINGTON. Cheap, plastic solar cells that can be painted onto just about any surface could provide power for a range of portable and even wearable electronic devices, scientists said Thursday. A team at the University of California Berkeley said they had come up with a first generation of plastic solar cells, which could someday replace the bulky and expensive silicon-based cells used widely now. “Our efficiency is not good enough yet by about a factor of 10, but this technology has the potential to do a lot better,” Paul Alivisatos, a professor of chemistry who led the study…
- Solar Schoolhouse – http://solarschoolhouse.org
- Solar Suitcases – https://wecaresolar.org – provide solar energy systems (medical lighting, mobile communication and essential medical devices) to health facilities in areas without reliable electricity. A basic Solar Suitcase has solar panels, LFP battery, two medical LED lights, charge controller, mounting hardware, and standard accessories (costs $1705 with bulk discounts available for NGOs).